Prototype 01

bicycle
(Source: Myself)

In this post, I'll be talking about what I did for my prototype for this week. Firstly, I laid out the main things that needed to be done first. Getting the bicycle moving and working was my first priority so I worked on that. I got a free bicycle asset from the Unity Store. After that, I followed this tutorial from Brackeys which he shows us how to get a character moving in third person. 

After finishing it, I realised it wasn't what I needed so followed this tutorial by gamesbyjames and this was super helpful. It thought me more about rigidbodies, how to get a car to only move while pressing up or down and how to rotate the wheels from left to right. I still wasn't happy with this build because the way the bicycle moves is from a sphere on the inside. This means that there would be clipping happening whenever the bicycle hits an object and it also didn't look good while moving on jagged terrain.

While looking for a solution, I found a comment on a Youtube video that helped. It basically said that they used the Unity tutorials to get their vehicle moving. We followed a tutorial a few weeks ago that covered that so copied that code and mixed it with previous code. After a few adjustments, I was able to solve the issues I was dealing with. 

Another issue that occurred now was that the bicycle would fall over easily. I want it so the bicycle has a position which it comes back to. I found a tutorial which showed me what I needed. I played around with the code until I was happy with the movement.

I also needed to get the wheels moving while the player would press up or down. This was pretty difficult as there wasn't any tutorials to help. After a good few hours of trail and error, I stumbled on a random forum online which I don't remember what it was called. It was the code that I was looking for. I created two separate scripts for it and placed them on the two wheels.

That was everything I did so far, I was pretty challenging and I made a lot of progress so far! I'm excited for the next as I still need to create the character and get the pedals moving on the bicycle.

Comments

  1. Movement is definitely the best thing to start with when designing a game like yours, im sure it will make things much easier for you if you can look around the scene.
    Rigid bodies are quite hard to work with, good to see that you went out of your way to research these and i hope it will help in developing your game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edward. fantastic blog entry, great to read about your overall progress you've made with the game, i see that you chose to prioritize the movement first a great strategy, i see that you had difficulties with object physics too i can definitely relate, Have you tried increasing the mass of the object? thats how i fixed my issue,

    ALL and all great progress of far and best of luck with the rest of the development of your game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edward,
    After reading your blog, I can see that you really did your research for your game and it was also good that you didn't stick to the coding that you doesn't like even though it works on your game. This shows that you really care about the quality of your game and you really put effort into it! Having the player to get moving physically first before designing your game is a really good idea as well. Good luck making your game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edward,
    Mixing Unity tutorials with YouTube tutorials is very smart and I'm glad it worked out for you. The bike looks great also.
    Seeing this blog post I was wondering if you have the map design and ready. Also will there be a character on the bike or will the player only see the bike as they play?
    You should try allow the play to bunny hop if possible. I think that would be a very fun extra thing to have on your game.
    I used the TAG technique for this feedback comment. I hope it helps and keep up the great work! Denis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment