Game Design

brainstorming
(Source: Pexels)

 For this post, I will be talking about articles and blog posts I've read. I read "What is a game anyway?", "The organic nature of game ideation" and "Four basic methods for generating ideas". These were very interesting to read and learnt a bit about what qualifies as a game and how ideas are created in the game industry.

I thought the first post was simple to understand as it simplified what a game is. It can be describe in many ways such as a game has rules, activity, conflict and are voluntary. We can use these terms to expand our ways of thinking what a game should look like which is a key for making great games.

I thought the second post was interesting but a bit difficult to read. It was basically on how game ideas are created in game studios and gave some research in a Finnish game studio. It turns out people like to create ideas in their own ways and then ask their group for feedback. Group ideations aren't as effective but they could be used for certain situations. I think it's great to have a bit of both but I do agree that ideas come more naturally when you're on your own. 

Finally, I thought the third post had some good information and could defiantly be applied. The four methods include concentration, brainstorming, scamper and the Ramsey method. These are great ways at generating ideas but they aren't a guarantee. In my opinion, I feel that humans as a whole want to understand how everything works such as how ideas are created. We always need an answer which hinders the ability of that certain thing, in this case is idea creation. I believe the best way to generate ideas is to let them occur naturally and let them come to you!

Comments