Game Vision Statement

 

bicycle
(Source: Pexels)

Introduction: "Cycle Away" is a third person cycling game that brings the player on a relaxing and meditative journey away from the city and into nature. There is no real objective other than the player to relax and enjoy the journey. It is be a linear based game but with open world elements. It will a short game where experience is more of a priority than the gameplay.

Target Market: The target market for this game are people that enjoy short games and that enjoy the experience more than the gameplay. We want target users that want to wind down and relax and not have to think much while playing the game.

Game Genre: The game will be an adventure style game where the player gets from point A to point B.

Gameplay: The gameplay will be mostly focused on the cycling aspect to explore. however the player can leave his bicycle at any time he wants. The player has a day off from work and wants to get away from the city and into nature. You start off on an early morning to start the day. There is a day/night cycle that occurs and it is set in spring/summer. In the city, there will be A.I cars driving around and optionally people wandering.

As the player gets away from the city, there will animals spawning in nature where the player can get off his bicycle and watch them. Optionally, I could have the player to be able to sit down, drink water and do other activities to relax.  

The art style for this game will be low poly. The colour palate will be pastel and colourful. Relaxing music will play as the player is cycling. The player can return to the house to finish the experience or get to the end goal which will be a hill to see the surroundings. 

Resources required: In order to make this game, I need to have a few main components. I need to create a working bicycle which the player can interact with. I will also need a character that can move and have a third person camera following him. I need to also be to create a low poly environment and have a day/night cycle. If I have time, I also want to add moving animals and cars into the game. To add to the immersion, I will need some relaxing music and sound effects such as the bicycle moving.

I will need a place a hill where the player can end the experience and have a credit screen after that. I will also need a main menu and have a logo for the game. I have experience in graphic design so that shouldn't be a problem.

Link(s) to sources: Unfortunately, there is not many recourses to create a working bicycle but I can work around that. There are many tutorials on other vehicles and I can implement those characteristics into the bicycle. Here is one of many tutorials on how to create a moving car. Once I have the bicycle physics set up, I can then move onto the character and his animations. I will be using Blender to create a rig him and then using animations online to make his walk. Here is one tutorial on how to create animations in Unity.

When I have both of these set up, I will then move onto creating the terrain and environment. Here is one tutorial on how to create a low poly environment. I want the game to be charming and pleasing to look at. I will also create the house where the player will start off in and the day/night cycle. These will be the main priorities of the game.

Optional/ less important tasks include creating AI cars, people and animals. Here is one video explaining how to create wandering AI. I could add some dialogue to player and have him do more things in nature. I could also add hidden areas such as a cabin in a forest. I could have a save feature if it's needed. 

Finally, I will add finishing touches to the game such as a credit screen and a main menu. Here is one video explaining how to create a main menu design in Unity.

Comments

  1. Hi Eddie,

    I really like your game idea, it reminds me of Grand Theft Auto a bit (excluding all of the violence) like how you can drive and walk around freely and don’t need to think about the gameplay as much, just the experience. I like how you decided to make a relaxing game. Most games nowadays make people frustrated and irritated, I like how you went with the other route. Have you made a game before? From reading your post, it seems that you have a lot of knowledge about other gaming softwares so I was just curious. You’ve clearly thought through your game idea so its hard for me to give you any suggestions, but perhaps you could add a timer to make it more challenging? I know you want a relaxing game, but I was thinking the player could reach a certain point to see the scenery before the sun sets. Either way I hope your game turns out well. Good luck with it!

    Khang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really like the idea of your game. It resembles a lot of open world games but really stood out as something that resembled Watch Dogs 2! (And maybe 1 and 3 but I hear 1 is bad and 3 is just out). I like the idea of just taking your time walking around and having small interactions and experiences. I will say that the idea is something I haven't really seen. As I said, it resembles a lot of open world games but most of them still have specific quests. I like that this is at your own pace. Have you found the Unity tutorials helpful for your game or are you having to find a lot of resources outside of what we've been given? You seem to have a good idea with what you're doing so I'm interested to see how you get on with it. Have you thought about maybe adding small tasks or quests? Something mundane like 'eat lunch' or 'drop into the bank'? I think it could be a cool element to get people to explore the map a bit more. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edward, I am just after finishing up reading all your project pages and I really like your idea, its very different compared to others and I am just going to give you some feedback.
    I like the overall idea and I think it could definitely be something that would be interesting to play. The idea of having A.I within the world would be very cool to see.

    How big are you considering this world to be? It sounds almost like it will be fairly big to be honest. Do you plan on having half the map to be nature and the other half to be city?

    I definitely would say have some soothing, chill music in the background but wouldn't have it that loud because you could maybe add sound effects like birds and the cars driving by. Love the idea, good luck with the game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment