Learning Challenge: Learning About Sleep

circadian rhythm
(Source: Prescription Hope)


For this challenge, I read an article about how our sleep schedule is making us sick by Richard A. Friedman. In this article, Friedman tells us that the amount we sleep can effect our mood and why jet lag happens. Before, reading this I knew that sleep was very important and we should be prioritising this as it has an effect our how we go about our day. 

After reading this post, I learnt all about the circadian rhythm and how melatonin is used to help us sleep. To fix jet lag, Friedman suggests that if you are travelling east, you should get morning light and evening melatonin. If you are travelling west, you should get evening light and morning melatonin.

I am curious to try this once I experience jet lag again but to be honest, this is still a bit confusing to me. I also want to notice more about how the light effects my sleeping habits. I tend to get tired once the sun goes down so it is interesting to see that we have an internal clock that regulates our melatonin.

Comments